First-Year Student Orientation, Advising and Registration (SOAR)
Welcoming first-year first-time students to their new campus involves three parts, an Online ‘Ike session covering registration and academic requirements, Po‘okela sessions and Lā Pūnua. You are strongly encouraged to participate in all three events prior to your first day of class. Don’t forget your Student ID, which will allow you certain University privileges and benefits.
Freshmen ‘Ike - Build your Online Knowledge
First-year students are required to participate in an online ‘Ike session consisting of a number of modules, designed to help students understand and navigate the STAR GPS Registration system, Graduation and Program Requirements as well as advising tips on selecting classes. Participating in this online ‘Ike session will also allow students to get a registration pin number that will allow them to register for classes early.
- Visit the First Year Student Orientation page and complete all four ‘Ike modules and the survey.
- Receive access to the PIN screen after completing the modules and survey to input within 24 hours to register early. Note the PIN down.
- Head to STAR GPS to register for your first semester. Registration for incoming first-year students opens on May 3.
Pre-Po‘okela Advising and Registration Workshop
Beginning in April, there will be weekly workshops providing an in-depth orientation to STAR GPS and an opportunity for students to ask any registration questions they may have.
- April: Thursdays (4:30pm – 6:00pm)
- May – July: Wednesdays (2:00pm – 3:30pm)
Register now for a workshop. Students will receive a Google Calendar invite to their UH email address within 24 hours of registering.
First-Year Po‘okela - Build your Success Team
Po‘okela sessions give first-year students the opportunity to meet key individuals who will contribute to their first year experience as well as meet with an advisor and their mentor to envision their success.
All Po‘okela sessions will be held virtually via Zoom. Once registered, students will receive a Google Calendar invite to their UH email address within 24 hours of registering.
To participate in a Po‘okela session, students must also complete the following:
- Complete Placement Tests (if applicable)
- Submit your Health Clearances
- Set-up your UH account to register for classes
- July 2, 2021 (10:00am – 12:00pm)
- July 9, 2021 (3:00pm – 5:00pm)
- July 16, 2021 (10:00am – 12:00pm)
- July 23, 2021 (3:00pm – 5:00pm)
- July 30, 2021 (10:00am – 12:00pm)
Register now for a Po‘okela session.
‘Ohana - Join the Family
First-year students should attend Lā Pūnua to increase their familiarity with the campus ‘ohana community including meeting divisional faculty. This event allows first-year students to learn more about the services, programs and people committed to supporting their journey towards graduation. PUEO mentors and classmates/peers will also be in attendance.
You are automatically registered for Lā Pūnua when you register for a Po‘okela Session.
SOAR programs, advisors are available at the Student Services Office in Campus Center. To schedule an appointment with an advisor, please submit your Intent to Enroll and contact the Advising Office.
View more information about our services on our Advising website. To participate in advising, new students must also complete the following:
- Submit the Intent to Enroll form.
- Submit your Health Clearances
- Set-up your MyUH account to register
Location: Campus Center, 2nd Floor, C236
Phone: (808) 689–2689