University of Hawai'i - West O'ahu

International Students

The University of Hawaiʻi–West Oʻahu offers a distinct educational experience that is student-focused and innovative. Students are engaged through integrated learning opportunities that link learning to significant issues that impact our community.

How to Apply

International students who need an F-1 or J-1 visa to study in the United States or are currently living in the U.S. on any type of visa must meet the admissions requirements below:

  • A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for applicants from countries where English is not the primary language must be sent directly to UH West O‘ahu from Educational Testing Services. The minimum score for admission:
    • Paper – 550 or higher
    • Computer – 213 or higher
    • Internet – 79 or higher
    • TOEFL Exemptions
      • Applicants with an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 5.0 or better (academic section only)
      • Applicants with a SAT Writing score of 510 or higher
      • Applicants with an ACT English score of 22 or higher
      • Grade of C or better in English 100 or equivalent (as determined by the UH West O’ahu Office of Admissions

* In addition to the TOEFL, an EIKEN Grade Pre-1 score is also acceptable.

  • Official Secondary and Post-secondary School Transcripts
    • All official transcripts, examination certifications (e.g., General Certificate of Education) and other documents showing all high school and any completed post-secondary work must be submitted to the Office of Admissions. All official transcripts must be mailed directly by the institution or Ministry of Education to the Office of Admissions. Documents mailed or hand carried by you or anyone else will not be accepted as official or used for admission consideration.
    • Secondary school transcripts must include a list of courses taken and grades/internal marks received each year, class rank for the last four years of secondary school, and an explanation of the school’s grading system. If transcripts with annual internal marks are unavailable directly from the school, you may photocopy your mark sheets or grade reports and have them certified by a school official who verifies that a transcript is otherwise not available.
    • Post-secondary school transcripts must include a list of courses taken, grades/marks received, number of hours spent in each class per term, explanation of the school’s grading system, and your rank in class. You may also be asked to provide course descriptions and a list of text books used in each course.
    • Photocopies of external examination certificates must be certified by a school or Ministry of Education official or issued by the examining board and be sent directly to the Office of Admissions.
    • All documents must be in English or accompanied by an English translation that has been certified by a school or Ministry of Education official

Create an online account and start the application process in the UH System.

UH System Online Application Form

$50.00 (USD) application fee

  • The application fee is nonrefundable and non-transferable and valid only for the semester that you are applying. Upon submission of your online application, you will be prompted to pay the application fee by credit card.
  • You may qualify for an application fee waiver under certain conditions. Submit the application fee waiver form to the UH West O‘ahu Office of Admissions. Approval of this form will be accepted in lieu of the admission application fee.

Complete the University of Hawai’i Supplementary Information Form for Undergraduate International Applicants (PDF) per the instructions below:

Sections A & B: Educational Information
International applicants, including U.S. citizens and permanent residents whose native language is not English, who were born outside the United States, or who graduated from a foreign high school must complete page 2.

Section C: Confidential Financial Information
All nonimmigrant students who are to be issued an I-20 for their F-1 student visa must complete this section and document that sufficient funds in U.S. dollars will be available for one year of study. Certification of Support and accompanying bank statements must be signed within the last six months.

Documents may be submitted securely via (Select Admissions Department).

Official transcripts must be received by UH West O‘ahu from all non-University of Hawai‘i regionally-accredited, post-secondary educational institutions previously attended. Transcripts are considered official when sent directly to UH West O‘ahu by the previous institution.

Official transcripts can be submitted as:

  • Paper transcripts mailed directly to UH West Oʻahu by your previous institution in a sealed envelope
  • Electronic transcripts sent directly to via a third-party vendor that provides transcript fulfillment services (such as eScrip, Parchment, Docufide and National Student Clearinghouse)

Students on F-1 or J-1 visas must provide a certified bank statement in U.S. dollars signed within the last 6 months attesting to financial support of the estimated Cost of Attendance which is calculated based upon two semesters and includes Cost of Living plus Tuition. See Cost of Attendance or email

Students using J-1 visas should contact their sponsoring agency for information on obtaining a J-1 visa.

Application materials, including official paper transcripts, may be mailed to:

Office of Admissions
University of Hawai‘i–West O‘ahu
91-1001 Farrington Highway
Kapolei, HI 96707

Application Processing Time
Please allow two to four weeks for the processing of your completed application. You will then receive a decision letter by mail. If there are any incomplete items in your application, your admission decision may be delayed.

Application Deadlines

The deadline for an upcoming Fall semester is May 1. The deadline for an upcoming Spring semester is October 1. More information can be found on the Application Deadlines page.

Upcoming Semester Deadline
Fall May 1
Spring October 1

Note: Deadlines for International student applications are different than other applications.


Full-Time Status

International students on F-1 and J-1 student visas must be enrolled as full-time students each semester (summer excluded). Full-time enrollment for undergraduate international students is defined as a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester. All international students are required to meet with a student services academic advisor every semester to register. Visit the Academic Advising Office located at the Campus Center, C-236, or call (808) 689-2689 to make an appointment.

Distance Education Class Restrictions

The Department of Homeland Security restricts international students in the U.S. from enrolling in some distance learning programs. The student visa status requires a student’s physical presence on campus; therefore enrollment in distance education classes is restricted. Students may count only one three-credit distance education class per semester as part of their full-time course load.

Concurrent Enrollment for International Students

Students interested in enrolling concurrently at another campus in the UH system or post-secondary institution are required to get approval from the UH West O‘ahu student services academic advisor prior to registering for non-UH West O‘ahu classes.

Health Insurance Requirement

UH policy stipulates that all international students must obtain adequate health insurance as a condition of enrollment. International students must either purchase the University endorsed student plan or another insurance plan that meets the University’s minimum requirements. If you plan to purchase another medical health insurance policy, make sure this policy will meet the UH standards before you purchase it, as many policies do not meet these requirements. Please visit the International Student Insurance website to view the requirements and other information.

Continuing students must provide documentation for health insurance covering the entire duration of the semester (fall/spring) and submit the F-1 Student Acknowledgement of Health Insurance Form to the Office of Admissions, no later than August 1 for the fall semester and January 1 for the spring semester. Newly accepted international students will have a health insurance hold placed on their registration records and will not be allowed to register until sufficient documentation is provided.

Back To Top
virtual front desk chat icon

Connect with us!

close chat icon


Leave Us a Message

The Virtual Front Desk is open between 10 am - 2 pm on weekdays. Sorry we missed you! Please complete the form below and we will be sure to get back to you within 2 business days. Mahalo!


Thank you for your submission

We will review your question and get back to you within 1-2 business days. Mahalo!

Leave Us a Message

The Virtual Front Desk is open between 10 am - 2 pm on weekdays. Sorry we missed you! Ask Us a question or leave a message, and we will get back to you soon. Mahalo!