University of Hawaii West Oahu Seal


Campus Policy: Registration, Tuition and Fees

An official determination of residency status will be determined at the time of application. Students who do not qualify on the first day of instruction as bona fide residents of the state of Hawai’i, according to Hawai‘i Administrative Rules, Title 20, Chapter 4, will pay the nonresident tuition. Applicants may be required to provide documentation to verify residency status. Once classified as a nonresident, a student continues to be so classified during his or her enrollment.

To be considered a resident for tuition purposes, a student (18 or older) or the student (under 18) and his/her parents or legal guardian must:

  • have been physically present in Hawai‘i for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of instruction; and
  • not have been claimed as a dependent for tax purposes by a nonresident parent or guardian, unless in the case of divorced or legally separated parents, the parent legally claims the dependent and the other parent and student meet the Hawaii residency requirements
  • demonstrated intent to permanently reside in Hawai‘i

For more information about the Hawai‘i Administrative Rules Title 20, Chapter 4: can be found on the Determination of Residency as Applied to Tuition Purposes (PDF) and visit our General Catalog.

For information about exemptions from non-resident tuition and other programs, please visit the Residency page.