University of Hawai'i - West O'ahu

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) is a program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). WUE offers eligible students an in-person opportunity to gain an educational and cultural experience unique to, and offered by, UH West O’ahu. Through WUE, students in western states may enroll at UH West O’ahu at a reduced tuition of 150 percent of the institution’s regular resident tuition. WUE tuition is considerably less than non-resident tuition. Reduced WUE tuition is currently available for freshman and transfer students. UH West O‘ahu reserves the right to limit WUE awards each academic year based on enrollment projections.

Eligibility: You must be a resident of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oregon, Utah, Wyoming, Washington State, Guam, the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. Your family’s domicile (home) must be maintained as your permanent address throughout the duration of your participation in the WUE program. Freshman applicants must have a 2.7 cumulative grade-point-average over four years in high school. Transfer applicants must have a 2.0 cumulative grade-point-average.  WUE Applicants must be accepted as a degree-seeking student at UH West O’ahu.  Unclassified non-degree students are not eligible.


  • The following programs are not included in the WUE program:
    1. Bachelor programs: Culinary Management
    2. Certificate programs
    3. Distance Education programs
  • Only undergraduate students, and those who have not already earned a baccalaureate degree, qualify.
  • WUE is awarded only once at the time of admission and will remain in effect for the duration of the student’s academic career at UH West O’ahu.
  • Non-WUE students who enroll as non-residents will not qualify for WUE status in later terms. Hawai’i residency cannot be established under the WUE program.
  • Students changing their residency will be reclassified to non-resident. Students are only able to apply for Hawai‘i residency 12 months after cessation of WUE.

Note: Currently, UH West O‘ahu does not offer housing. In addition, the Bachelor programs listed above are articulations with the University of Hawaii Community Colleges and are limited to students from these colleges.

How to Apply: Complete and submit the following:

  1. University of Hawai‘i System Online Application Form
  2. Western Undergraduate Exchange Application
  3. Official transcripts from your high school and/or college/university sent directly to the Office of Admissions. WUE eligibility cannot be determined without official transcripts.
Back To Top
virtual front desk chat icon

Connect with us!

close chat icon


Virtual Front Desk

Virtual front desk icon

Ready, willing, and able to assist with your questions!

Launch now

Virtual Front Desk hours: 10am-2pm on weekdays

Animated female character sitting behind a laptop with headphones on.

If you prefer, fill out this form and someone will respond to you via email.

Leave Us a Message

Mahalo for reaching out to us! Please complete the form below and we will be sure to get back to you within 2 business days. Mahalo!


Thank you for your submission

We will review your question and get back to you within 1-2 business days. Mahalo!

Leave Us a Message

The Virtual Front Desk is open between 10 am - 2 pm on weekdays. Sorry we missed you! Ask Us a question or leave a message, and we will get back to you soon. Mahalo!