UH West Oʻahu Career Services is presenting a Career & Internship Fair to help students find a job, land an internship, or gain other career-related experience as the summer hiring season nears.
The fair is scheduled for 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 21, in C208. Interested students should register online to receive an event name tag and extra door prize drawing entry. They are reminded to dress appropriately and bring copies of their resumes to the event.
Some of Hawaiʻi’s largest companies and organizations will be participating in the fair, ranging from Aflac to the Defense Intelligence Agency to Servco Pacific Inc., to YMCA of Honolulu. At least 32 organizations have signed up to recruit personnel, offering internships/practicums, part-time work, volunteer positions, and and full-time employment.
Career Services also has a list of recommendations for students who plan to attend. Besides dressing conservatively and professionally and having your resume, a list of references and positive attitude, it advises:
- Research companies that will be participating;
- Preparing a list of questions to ask company representatives;
- Preparing an opening statement or greeting;
- Being confident and focused in meetings, make eye contact;
- Being courteous and respectful of the privacy of other candidates when approaching an employer;
- Visiting with many employers to gather information about them, career fields and opportunities;
- Asking for a business card when meetings end, write notes on what was discussed on the back; and,
- Following up on leads after the fair, including sending thank-you notes to recruiters.