Recruiters will be looking for UH West Oʻahu’s best and brightest at the Career & Internship Fair with numerous full-time, part-time, internship, practicum, and volunteer opportunities in a variety of areas from accounting to STEM. Potential employers will be onsite to answer your questions and collect resumes at the event on Wednesday, Oct. 2, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room (C208).
Event organizers will be giving away door prizes valued at over $400. There are 6 ways to win: (1) register online and check in at the event, (2) drop off a copy of your resume at check-in, (3) complete the event question card (4) complete the event survey, (5) re-post one of @uhwocareers event flyers on your IG (don’t forget to tag Career Services!) or (6) volunteer.
Organizers have the following tips to help you stand out:
- Dress in a conservative and professional manner. Be considerate of others when using perfume and aftershave.
- Bring copies of your résumé, a list of references, a pen (that works) and a notepad; a smile, a strong handshake, a positive attitude; and a 30-second “sales pitch” about your skills, abilities, education, and experience.
- Research the companies that will be represented at the fair and prioritize your favorites. Visit several other companies first to gain confidence and reduce anxiety.
- Prepare a list of questions, based on research, to ask company representatives.
- Review your résumé to reacquaint yourself with your educational background and work history.
- Prepare an opening statement or greeting (see guide below). Employers respond well to individuals who appear confident and focused on a specific career goal. Make eye contact with the person to whom you are speaking.
- Be courteous and respectful of the privacy of other candidates when approaching an employer.
- Talk with many employers. Take this opportunity to gather information about the company and the career field(s) they target, as well as employment opportunities.
- Before leaving an employer, ask for his/her business card. Write notes regarding the topics you discussed on the back of the card.
- After the fair, follow up on all leads. Send thank you notes to the recruiters to whom you spoke and reiterate your interest in a position with their company.