Are you looking for a job, internship, practicum, or other career-related experience? UH West Oʻahu Career Services is presenting a Career & Internship Fair to help students find work opportunities, internships, or career-related experiences.
The Career & Internship Fair is scheduled for 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 10 in C208. Interested students should register online and checking in at the event to receive an event name tag and extra drawing entry for door prizes valued at more than $400.
Students planning to attend are advised to dress in a conservative and professional manner and bring copies of their résumé, a pen, notepad and positive attitude. They should also practice their “elevator pitch,” a 30 to 60-second pitch where someone introduces themselves, explains who they are and details their expertise. It also should include your prior work experience or desired work, special strengths, and an inquiry, whether it be for contact information or information about vacancies. All this should be delivered with confidence and passion, while looking the person in the eyes and smiling.
Career Services also has a list of recommendations for students who plan to attend. Besides dressing conservatively and professionally and having your résumé, a list of references and positive attitude, it advises:
- Research companies that will be participating;
- Preparing a list of questions to ask company representatives;
- Preparing an opening statement or greeting;
- Review your résumé to reacquaint yourself with your education and work history
- Being confident and focused in meetings, make eye contact;
- Being courteous and respectful of the privacy of other candidates when approaching an employer;
- Visiting with many employers to gather information about them, career fields and opportunities;
- Asking for a business card when meetings end, write notes on what was discussed on the back; and,
- Following up on leads after the fair, including sending thank-you notes to recruiters.
More than two dozen companies and organizations are participating, including the Queenʻs Health Systems, Marriottʻs Ko Olina Beach Club, the Legal Aid Society of Hawaiʻi, the Defense Intelligence Agency, and the Hawaiʻi State House of Representatives.
Refreshments will be be served. Besides registering online, attendees may also enter the door prize giveaway by dropping off a copy of their résumé at check-in; completing the event passport; completing the event survey; re-posting one of @uhwocarers event flyers on your IG and tag us; and volunteering.