UH West Oʻahu ʻUluʻulu, Henry K. Giugni Moving Image Archive of Hawaiʻi Head Archivist, Janel Quirante earned a Digital Archives Specialist (DAS) certificate from the Society of American Archivists after successfully completing the required coursework and passing a comprehensive examination. The certificate program was developed by experts in the field of digital archives. DAS certificate holders complete nine archive courses, pass a comprehensive examination, and have the skills to
- understand the nature of electronic records
- define requirements, roles, and responsibilities related to digital archives
- formulate strategies for appraising, describing, managing, organizing, and preserving digital archives
- plan for new tools and technologies and integrate them into existing functions to appraise, capture, preserve, and provide access to digital collections
- curate, store, and retrieve original masters and access copies of digital archives and
- provide reliable service related to electronic records and digital archives.
A program of the Academy for Creative Media System, ʻUluʻulu, the Henry Kuʻualoha Giugni Moving Image Archive of Hawaiʻi, is Hawaiʻi’s official moving image archive and located in the UH West Oʻahu Library. The mission of the ʻUluʻulu Archive is to perpetuate and share the rich moving image heritage of Hawaiʻi through the preservation of film and videotape related to the history and culture of Native Hawaiians and the people of Hawaiʻi. For more information, call (808) 689-2740 or visit uluulu.hawaii.edu.