Mathematics, Natural and Health Sciences
Assistant Professor of Physics
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 2019
- MS, Civil Engineering, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 2017
- MS, Biological Engineering, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 2011
- BS, Biological Engineering, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 2009
- Certificate, Spanish, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 2009
- Assistant Professor of Physics, University of Hawaiʻi at West Oʻahu, 2019-current
- Lecturer of Civil Engineering, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 2019 (Summer)
Courses taught at UH West Oʻahu:
- CHEM 100L: Chemistry and Society Lab
- PHYS 100L: Survey of Physics Lab
- PHYS 151: College Physics 1
- PHYS 151L: College Physics 1 lab
- PHYS 152: College Physics 2
- PHYS 152L: College Physics 2 Lab
Courses taught at UH Mānoa:
- CEE 421: Engineering Hydraulics
- PHYS 151: College Physics I
- PHYS 152: College Physics II
Journal Articles (peer-reviewed)
- Rhoda Luo-Ting Lin, Joshua Lelemia Irvine, and Ping-Yi Yang, EMMC Technology for Treatment/Reuse of Dilute Dairy Wastewater, Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy (2009) 1–9, Springer Link. PDF.
- Piyalerg Kongsil, Joshua Lelemia Irvine, and Ping-Yi Yang, Integrating an Anaerobic Bio-nest and Aerobic EMMC Process as Pre-treatment of Dairy Wastewater for Reuse: A Pilot Plant study, Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy 12:3 (2010) 301–311, Springer Link. PDF.
- Tyler Tsuchida, Joshua Lelemia Irvine, Siufung Tang, Jamie Nishikawa, Leighton Lum, Albert S. Kim, Sewer Chamber Design under Critical Conditions using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Desalination and Water Treatment, 108 (2018) 1–14, https://doi.org/10.5004/dwt.2018.22019.
- Joshua Lelemia Irvine and Albert S. Kim, Understanding bioswale as a small water and wastewater treatment plant: A theoretical review, Desalination and Water Treatment, 135 (2018) 1–15, https://doi.org/10.5004/dwt.2018.23119.
- Joshua Lelemia Irvine and Albert S. Kim, Coupled Transport of a Bioswale Process during Storm Runoff Events: A CFD Study using OpenFOAM, Desalination and Water Treatment, 140 (2019) 103–117.
- Joshua Lelemia Irvine and Albert S. Kim, Hydraulic design perspectives of bioswale vegetation layers, Desalination and Water Treatment, 143 (2019) 137–147.
- Lauren M. Lui, Danica Roth, Gabrial RoynablJungemann, and Lelemia Irvine, The Unseen Impact of Inclusive Professional Development and Pedagogic Training on Underestimated Minority Graduate Students, UC Santa Cruz: Institue for Scientist & Engineering Educators (2022), https://escholarship.org/uc/item/30r3j4qs.
- Devin Chu, Austin Barnes, Stacey Sueoka, and Lelemia Irvine, From Akamai Intern to PDP Instructor: the coupled impact on becoming a STEM professional, UC Santa Cruz: Institue for Scientist & Engineering Educators (2022), https://escholarship.org/uc/item/5mv3k3p7.
Conference Proceedings (peer-reviewed)
- Thahn Truc Thi Nguyen, Oceana Francis, Scott F. Miller, Donna Kuehu, Kapena McLean, Joshua Lelemia Irvine, Nicholas R. Izsawa, Native Hawaiians in Engineering: A Path to the Professoriate, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), June 24-27 (2018), Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Albert S. Kim, Joshua Lelemia Irvine. interPhaseDiffusionFoam. 2018, Available from: https://github.com/enphysoft/interPhaseDiffusionFoam, doi:https://zenodo.org/badge/latestdoi/154744949
Predictive Theoretical and Computational Approaches for Characterizing Engineered Bioswale Systems Performance
by Irvine, Joshua Lelemia, Ph.D., University of Hawai'i at Manoa, 2019, 115; 13426346. (Download full text: https://pqdtopen.proquest.com/doc/2267452584.html?FMT=ABS)
- Study Abroad, Universidad EARTH, Limon, Costa Rica, 2005
- Engineering-in-Training, State of Hawaii, 2009
- Member, American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES)
- Member, American Physical Society (APS)
- Member, American Rainwater Catchment Systems Association (ARCSA)
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Member, European Society for Oceanists (ESfO)
- Member, Hale Mua ʻO Māuiaakalana (HMOM)
- Member, ʻŌiwi Leadership Institute (OLI)
- Member, Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanic and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- Member, Water Environment Federation/ Hawaii Water Environment Association (HWEA)