An All Inclusive Campus
The University of Hawai’i system, along with the University of Hawai’i—West O’ahu, is committed to building an inclusive community that supports and advocates for all students. We welcome all members of our campus community to our campuses: transgender persons, māhū, and people of all gender identities and sexual orientations.
All members of our campus community deserve a work and educational environment free from harassment or bullying based on their sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
University of Hawai’i Commission on LGBTQ+ Equality: http://www.hawaii.edu/offices/president/lgbtq/
- University of Hawai’i—West O’ahu Commissioners:
Preferred Name Change Form at the University of Hawai’i—West O’ahu
All Gender Restroom
The University of Hawai’i—West O’ahu has an all-gender restroom on the first floor of the Campus Center building.
Safe Zone Program
The Safe Zone program's objective is for trained participants to utilize their gained knowledge and skills to foster a safe and inclusive community for LGBTQ+ students, faculty, and staff so as to promote social justice in the University of Hawaiʻi System. Upon completion of Safe Zone training, participants will be invited to become advocates in the University of Hawaiʻi System Safe Zone Program.
Click on this link for the list of faculty, staff, and students at the University of Hawai’i—West O’ahu who have declared they are an ally or an advocate.
Examples of Inclusive Syllabus Statements
- In this course it is expected that we will respect and embrace our differences while engaging in discussions and in class activities.
- The expectation in this class is to voice opinions that positively add to the discussions that are not exclusive of any students’ race, gender, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, class, etc.
- This course relies heavily on discussion and the exchange of diverse ideas. Please make sure to be respectful of your fellow students and their opinions, even (and especially) when you disagree with them. As we will deal with controversial issues in this course, the environment we create as a group should reflect an attitude of open-minded curiosity and interest in one another's points of view. Please be aware that, as we work to create this environment, inflammatory racist, homophobic, transphobic, sexist, or discriminatory language or behavior will not be tolerated.
- This course might tackle social issues in this class in terms of gender, race, and class. Disruptive language will not be tolerated. Disruptive language includes, but is not limited to, violent and/or belligerent and/or insulting remarks, including sexist, racist, homophobic or anti-ethnic slurs, bigotry, and disparaging commentary, either spoken or written (offensive slang is included in this category).
Download the LGBTQ+ Resource Bookmark (pdf)
Resources listed on bookmark are also listed below.
ACLU Hawai'i: http://www.acluhi.org
C.R.E.A.T.E. One Ohana
Equality Hawai'i: http://www.equalityhawaii.org
GLSEN: (Gay, Lesbian, & Straight Education Network Hawai'i): http://www.glsen.org/chapters/hawaii
GSA(Gay Straight Alliance Hawai'i): http://www.gsahawaii.org
Hawai'i LGBT Legacy Foundation: http://www.hawaiilgbtlegacyfoundation.com
The Imperial Court of Hawai'i: http://www.theimperialcourtofhawaii.org
Life Foundation: https://www.lifefoundationhawaii.org/
The LGBT Center Waikiki (808) 369-2000
Mental Health America of Hawai'i http://mentalhealthhawaii.org/youth-suicide-bullying-prevention/
Rainbow Family 808: http://www.rainbowfamily808.com
Crisis/Suicide Helpline: 1-800-273-8255
The Trevor Project 24hr hotline: 1-866-488-7386
ACCESS National Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
Resources and Advocacy
Campus Pride: http://www.campuspride.org
Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation: http://www.glaad.org
Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network: http://www.glsen.org
Human Rights Campaign: http://www.hrc.org
International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission: http://www.glhrc.org
It Gets Better Project: http://www.itgetsbetter.org
FORGE-Improving Transgender Lives: http://www.forge-forward.org
Lambda Legal: http://www.lambdalegal.org
LGBTQ Addiction Rehab Program: http://www.rehabs.com/about/gay-lesbian-bisexual-transgender-rehab/
National Center for Transgender Equality: http://www.transequality.org
National LGBTQ Task Force: http://www.thetaskforce.org
National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance: http://www.nqapia.org
Out Serve Service Members Legal Defense Fund: http://www.sldn.org
Safe Schools Coalition: http://www.safeschoolscoalition.org
Transgender Law Center: http://www.transgenderlawcenter.org
As a student of the University of Hawai'i, you have rights and responsibilities, including protections based on sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. Title IX protects gender-based harassment, including harassment based on actual or perceived sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Title IX Coordinators for the University of Hawai’i—West O’ahu are listed here.
Click on this link for information about UH West O’ahu’s confidential resource.
HELP! I feel that I have been harassed or discriminated against based on my gender expression, sexual orientation, or gender identity.