University of Hawai'i - West O'ahu
skip to Main Content

International Students

International students, who need an F-1 visa to study in the United States or are currently living in the U.S. on any type of visa, will need to meet specific admissions requirements.


  1. Complete University of Hawai‘i System Online Application Form
  2. Complete the University of Hawai’i Supplementary Information Form for Undergraduate International Applicants (PDF)
  3. If you are an F-1 student you must provide a certified bank statement in U.S. dollars signed within the last 6 months attesting to financial support of $40,345 for the 2019-2020 academic year.

Application Deadlines

Fall – May 1
Spring – October 1

For detailed information, view the UH West Oʻahu General Catalog.


Full-Time Status

International students on F-1 and J-1 student visas must be enrolled as full-time students each semester (summer excluded). Full-time enrollment for undergraduate international students is defined as a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester. All international students are required to meet with a student services advisor every semester to register. Visit the Academic Advising Office located at the Campus Center, C-236, or call 689-2689 to make an appointment.

Distance Education Class Restrictions

The Department of Homeland Security restricts international students in the U.S. from enrolling in some distance learning programs. The student visa status requires a student’s physical presence on campus; therefore enrollment in distance education classes is restricted. Students may count only one three-credit distance education class per semester as part of their full-time course load.

Concurrent Enrollment for International Students

Students interested in enrolling concurrently at another campus in the UH system or post-secondary institution are required to get approval from the UH West O‘ahu student services advisor prior to registering for non-UH West O‘ahu classes.

Health Insurance Requirement

UH policy stipulates that all international students must obtain adequate health insurance as a condition of enrollment. Continuing students must provide documentation for health insurance covering the entire duration of the semester (fall/spring) and submit the F-1 Student Acknowledgement of Health Insurance Form to the Office of the Registrar, no later than August 1 for the fall semester and January 1 for the spring semester. Newly accepted international students will have a health insurance hold placed on their registration records and will not be allowed to register until sufficient documentation is provided.

International Relations and Programs Office

The International Relations and Programs Office at UH West O‘ahu offers global learning opportunities and cultural activities to enrolled UH West O‘ahu students and serves as a resource for international students.

Contact Us
International Relations Office
Phone: (808) 689-2311

Back To Top