The University of Hawaiʻi–West Oʻahu Bachelor of Applied Science, Health Professions, General Health Science (BAS-HP, GHS) concentration with a Pre-Nursing Pathway was designed to address the nursing shortage in the state of Hawaiʻi, specifically the westside of Oʻahu, and aims to develop and prepare scholarly leaders from west Oʻahu who are interested in improving the health and wellness of their community through a career in nursing.
About the Pre-Nursing Pathway
Through a unique collaboration between UH West Oʻahu and the Nancy Atmospera-Walch School of Nursing at UH Mānoa, Pre-Nursing Pathway students will enroll in rigorous science courses and engage in hands-on clinical training opportunities in a variety of settings led by highly skilled professionals. This dynamic academic experience will be supplemented with state-of-the-art simulation equipment that provides extended learning options. The program fosters a holistic approach through incorporating Native Hawaiian values and principles, as well as place-based and aina-based learning.
The BAS-HP, GHS concentration with a Pre-Nursing Pathway enables UH West Oʻahu students to complete all general education, prerequisite, and degree coursework for a UH Mānoa’s Bachelor of Science in Nursing on UH West Oʻahu’s campus. Students will initially be admitted to UH West Oʻahu as “Pre-Nursing Pathway” students in the BAS-HP, GHS concentration and will enroll in and complete pre-nursing courses. Students may apply to the BS in Nursing program offered through the Nancy Atmospera-Walch School of Nursing at UH Mānoa after successful completion of the Pre-Nursing Pathway courses. Through this specialized partnership, both campuses will provide students with support services and opportunities needed to prepare for admission into the Nursing program. Admission to the UH Mānoa Bachelor of Science in Nursing is highly selective; students preparing for entry into the UH West Oʻahu and UH Mānoa BS in Nursing Partnership are encouraged to meet with a College Success Advisor from the UH West Oʻahu campus.
- High school graduate, with at least a 2.7 GPA
- Apply by August 1, 2022
- Freshman/First Year student status at UH West Oʻahu with a minimum of 15 credits of UH West Oʻahu coursework for Fall
- Maintain minimum grade of “B” or higher (not B-) in PHYL lectures, PHYL labs, MICR 130, and MATH
- Maintain minimum grade of “C” or higher (not C-) in all other prerequisite courses
- MATH 115: Learning Community
- PHYL 141 and PHYL 142: (with labs) Human Anatomy & Physiology I and II
- HLTH 123: Introduction to Clinical Skills & Patient Care
- HLTH 204: Introduction to Native Hawaiian and Indigenous Health and Healing
- Optional Summer HCOP-Kumu Ola Program
How to Apply
- Submit an application to UH West Oʻahu (choose General Studies for major).
- Once Accepted to UH West Oʻahu, complete the steps outlined on the Accepted Student website.
- Submit the UH West Oʻahu and UH Mānoa Pre-Nursing Pathway Intent to Apply Form.
- Attend one of the mandatory Pre-Nursing informational sessions in August.
- Register in required Pre-Nursing courses at UH West Oʻahu and meet with your College Success Advisor.
- During Fall 2022 Semester, submit a Pre-Nursing Pathway Continued Enrollment Review Form by October 1.
- Complete UH Mānoa‘s two-step application process after the 2nd semester to be admitted to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program. (NOTE: Admission to the UHM BS in Nursing is highly selective and seats are limited).