The goal of assessment at UH West O‘ahu is to improve student learning and program quality through an iterative process of planning, evidence, analysis, reevaluation and communication. To fulfill this goal the Office of Assessment, Evaluation, and Accreditation has several purposes, including:
- Designing and implementing institution-level assessment projects, including collaborating with UH West O‘ahu’s Assessment Coordinators to develop, implement, and continuously evaluate assessment plans for all divisions and concentrations.
- Providing leadership in developing an institutional framework for assessing student learning and promoting a learning-centered environment.
- Collaborate with UH West Oʻahu’s Faculty Senate Program Review Committee to facilitate the program review process.
- Providing workshops and other training opportunities with the goal of enhancing institutional capacity to engage in assessment.
- Facilitating conversations about assessment results and using them to improve student learning.
Our office provides consulting services to our campus colleagues in the development and implementation of formative assessment program processes that fit the needs of the given program.
The University of Hawaiʻi – West Oʻahu has a responsibility to provide information about the ways in which our students meet goals and expectations, per the American Association of Higher Education’s Principles of Good Practice for Assessing Student Learning. That responsibility, derived from our Value Proposition, goes beyond the reporting of such information to a deeper obligation: to ourselves, our students, and society.
|Academic Year||Student Learning Outcome||ILO||GELO||WSCUC Core Competencies|
|18-19||Written Communication||1||1||Written Communication|
|19-20||Oral Communication||1||2||Oral Communication|
|Social & Natural Science
|Quantitative Reasoning||3||Quantitative Reasoning|
|20-21||Information Literacy||Information Literacy|
|Contemporary Ethical Issues||8||Critical Thinking|
|21-22||Art, Humanities, & Literature||6||Creativity|
|Global & Multicultural Perspectives||2||5||Diversity|
|22-23||Community Engagement||5||Civic Engagement|
Dr. Sharon Valente
Director of Assessment, Evaluation, and Accreditation